Chrome extension support

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

Chrome extension support

Postby kevinv » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:50 pm

Hello,

I'm looking at a feature request from a couple of years ago where chrome extension support was being coded in. I don't see much that says what became of that. Is it in place now?

Related to that, there is a Microsoft Chrome extension named 'Windows 10 Accounts'. Below is the description.

"Use this extension to sign in to supported websites with accounts on Windows 10. If you have a Microsoft supported identity on Windows 10, you won’t be required to enter your credentials to sign in to supported websites. You’ll need to use this extension if your organization has implemented conditional access policy. Currently, this extension supports Azure Active Directory identities."

We are using a cef app to access internal web sites. A new MS security policy says that you need to be signed in to your corporate account on your browser to access them. Right now our cef app is broken because of this policy. I'm thinking if the above extension could be used in our cef app, that it may fix the problem. Would anyone have any idea if this would work? Or maybe something else might work that I'm not aware of?

Thanks,
Kevin
kevinv

Re: Chrome extension support

Postby magreenblatt » Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:00 pm

Extrension support is available with the Chrome runtime. I don’t know if the MS extension will solve your problem.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby HarmlessDave » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:25 pm

CEF does now support a subset of the extension APIs but not everything. You can try loading extensions in the CEFClient sample by adding a command line switch like this:

Code: Select all
c:\cef-folder\cefclient --load-extension=c:\test-extension

You can get the extension from Google Chrome's extensions folder in users > (yourname) > AppData > local > ... > (hash string for extension) after installing it in Chrome.

For the few extensions we've looked at, they have used some APIs that CEF doesn't currently support and would need to be re-written to avoid that. Running the extension in a debug build then looking at the console and debug log files might show you what APIs are causing errors.
HarmlessDave
Expert

Postby kevinv » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:01 pm

Thanks all. This was helpful in at least determining that it doesn't work.
kevinv

Return to Support Forum