[solved] accept_language_list affects CORS preflight request

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

[solved] accept_language_list affects CORS preflight request

Postby ldamis » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:10 am

Hi everyone.

INTRODUCTION
During an update in my Win32 CEF application from chromium-73.0.3683.75 to chromium-92.0.4515.131, I have observed an unexpected behaviour CORS preflight triggered by XmlHTTPRequest.
The difference is in Access-Control-Request-Headers.

chromium-73.0.3683.7
Code: Select all
OPTIONS /service.cgi HTTP/1.1
Host: 192.168.1.217
Connection: keep-alive
Access-Control-Request-Method: POST
Origin: null
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64) ...
Access-Control-Request-Headers: content-type
Accept: */*
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
Accept-Language: it_IT

chromium-92.0.4515.131
OPTIONS /service.cgi HTTP/1.1
Host: 192.168.1.217
Connection: keep-alive
Access-Control-Request-Method: POST
Origin: null
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64) ...
Access-Control-Request-Headers: accept-language,content-type
Accept: */*
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
Accept-Language: it_IT

With the new CEF I have error on response on some not upgradable embedded web-server:
Access to XMLHttpRequest at 'http://192.168.1.217/service.cgi' from origin 'null' has been blocked by CORS policy: Request header field accept-language is not allowed by Access-Control-Allow-Headers in preflight response.

The error is fired because this web server does not response with "accept-language" in "Access-Control-Allow-Headers".

I observed that Google Chrome (ver 92) doens not put "accept-language" in preflight request.

2 ATTEMPTS TO SOLVE MY PROBLEM

First attempt was to implement an empty CefResourceRequestHandler trying to intercept request.
I notice that, simply returning an empty CefResourceRequestHandler in CefRefPtr<CefResourceRequestHandler> MyCefHandler::GetResourceRequestHandler() caused a different behaviour in preflight request: "accept-language" disappeared from "Access-Control-Allow-Headers".
Debugging CEF code, I watched execution of this particular piece of code in resource_request_handler_wrapper.cc
// The request will be handled by the NetworkService. Remove the
// "Accept-Language" header here so that it can be re-added in
// URLRequestHttpJob::AddExtraHeaders with correct ordering applied.
request->headers.RemoveHeader(net::HttpRequestHeaders::kAcceptLanguage);

Second attempt: I focused on CefSettings.accept_language_list, without any CefResourceRequestHandler.
I tried to keep accept_language_list empty and I observed that preflight request, again, is built without "accept-language" in "Access-Control-Allow-Headers".
I also tried to set accept_language_list with the same default value "en_US", but it cause preflight response error.
So, I deduced that assignment, use and controls on accept_language_list is radically changed, with some butterfly effects on preflight.
Note that, before this attempt, I used to fill accept_language_list with languages supported by OS and I would like to keep this behaviour (the same as Google Chrome),

FINAL CONSIDERATIONS AND QUESTIONS
Web server that I need to support, cannot be upgraded, so I need CEF preflight headers behave same as Google Chrome.
I have found two workarounds to solve my problem (preflight without "accept-language"), but they both seems not reliable to me, specially for the future.
Am I right?
Are there better alternatives to achieve my goal?

Thank you in advance.
Last edited by ldamis on Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
ldamis
Techie

Re: accept_language_list affects CORS preflight request

Postby magreenblatt » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:49 am

So, I deduced that assignment, use and controls on accept_language_list is radically changed, with some butterfly effects on preflight.
Note that, before this attempt, I used to fill accept_language_list with languages supported by OS and I would like to keep this behaviour (the same as Google Chrome),

Thanks for the detailed explanation and analysis. Please file a bug at https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/cef/issues
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Re: accept_language_list affects CORS preflight request

Postby ldamis » Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:36 am

Thank you for the answer.

Actually, this post need an important update.

My conclusions were wrong, because of an important detail that I missed: in accept_language_list I used undescore char, wich is not "safe" for CORS:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Glossary/CORS-safelisted_request_header

Both new and old CEF convert undescore charachter (_) with minus character(-): I setted "it_IT" that becomes "it-IT" in navigator.languages, but remains "it_IT" when used for Accept-language header in preflight request.
This restrictions was introduced later than my old CEF version, so that's why the problem never happened.

So, CEF behaviour is the same as Google Chrome and is totaly correct.
I made a mistake and there is no reason to file a bug.

It remains a doubt for behaviour in my first attempt: implementation of CefResourceRequestHandler produces disappearing of Accept-language header in preflight.

I marked thread as solved.
ldamis
Techie

Re: [solved] accept_language_list affects CORS preflight req

Postby magreenblatt » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:16 am

Thanks for the update.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Return to Support Forum