CEF with C++/WinRT and UWP

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

CEF with C++/WinRT and UWP

Postby microdee » Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:29 am

Did anybody try to or is trying to implement CEF in UWP (Universal Windows Platform) environment using C++/WinRT? The latter is better than C++/CX or C++/CLI because C++/WinRT is not using non-standard C++ syntax. Unfortunately UWP doesn't support many traditional WinAPI functions and more unfortunately some of those are not even caught at compile time. How much effort would it be for one developer to introduce UWP as a new platform for CEF?
microdee

Re: CEF with C++/WinRT and UWP

Postby magreenblatt » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:17 am

magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby microdee » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:59 am

Yeah unfortunately I have the ungrateful task of making CEF work on HoloLens 2 (with OSR), which is an ARM64 computer running a unique snowflake version of Windows where only UWP applications can run. So as much as it would make my life easier, I cannot make a Desktop bridge, because there's no such thing as the Desktop environment there. When I naively set GN argument "target_os=winuwp" for chromium, V8 complains that there are dependent targets missing
Code: Select all
ERROR Unresolved dependencies.
//:chromium_builder_asan(//build/toolchain/win:uwp_x64)
  needs //v8:v8_shell(//build/toolchain/win:clang_x64)
microdee

Postby magreenblatt » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:22 am

You won't be able to use CEF in that environment. You'll either need to use WebView2 (which doesn't support OSR), or relax the OS restrictions.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Return to Support Forum