how to bind a C++ object to the same v8 Object

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

how to bind a C++ object to the same v8 Object

Postby colinChan008 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:04 am

when I bind a C++ object to v8, it will be different v8 object in v8 that will make a confuse while we compare the v8 objects to make a logic.
Is there a way to perform SetWeak/ClearWeak on a CEFV8Value? That would solve the problem.
colinChan008
Techie

Re: how to bind a C++ object to the same v8 Object

Postby magreenblatt » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:24 am

What are you trying to do? What, exactly, is the problem? Please show code to make it clearer.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby colinChan008 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:21 am

Code: Select all
struct UserData : public CefBaseRefCounted
        {
            UserData(void* _data)
                : data(_data)
            {
            }
           ~RefUserData()
            {
                if (data) delete (A*)data;
            }
           void * data;
            IMPLEMENT_REFCOUNTING(UserData);
        };

class A{};

Code: Select all

void create(CefRefPtr<CefV8Value>& retval){
        static A * value= new A();
   CefRefPtr<CefV8Value> retval = CefV8Value::CreateObject(&*Class<A>::classAccessor, nullptr);
   retval->SetUserData(new UserData(value));
   setGettersAndMethods(retval, value);
      }

ignore the binding progress, we assume the function create will be binded into a js funtion named 'createJs' which return the retval variable of fucntion create.
so we get something like this in js:

var a = createjs() ;//wrap the static variable of class A C++ object in create.
var b = createjs() ;//the same C++ object
a == b//? usually we need true, but it will be false in the way we wrap C++ Object.
in other words,
in the function create , I wrap a C++ object into a cefvalue which will be binded to jsscript.
but every time we call , it will create a new v8 object, as we call CefV8Value::CreateObject to make a new cefvalue to wrap.

My question is how to wrap a C++ object into the same v8 object all the time , and does not influence the gc of js.
Last edited by colinChan008 on Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
colinChan008
Techie

Postby magreenblatt » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:31 am

Why not have createjs() return the same CefV8Value object that was created previously?
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby colinChan008 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:41 am

if we save the cefvalue in to a map (std::unordered_map<int64_t, CefRefPtr<CefV8Value>> objects_;) and return the same cefvalue from the map.
in this way, it will influence the gc of cefvalue.but I don't want this, as we need the gc of cefvalue to release the C++ object.
colinChan008
Techie

Postby colinChan008 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:47 am

so I want to know how to bind a C++ object into the same v8 Object.
if we save to a map, what the type should be which will not influence the gc of js.
in v8, we can do this by setWeak
Last edited by colinChan008 on Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
colinChan008
Techie

Postby magreenblatt » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:47 am

It sounds like you need to reconsider your approach. For example, make the C++ object refcounted so that the same object can be referenced from multiple CefV8Value and provide a comparison function that looks at the underlying C++ object. Or, cache the object in the JS layer instead of the C++ layer so that lifespan is completely controlled by JS.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby colinChan008 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:57 am

cache the object in the Js layer doest not help anything, as our cache will retain the object all the time. as a result, the C++ object will not release.
in your c++ layer's suggestion, we need compare in js, not in c++.can u explain exactly.
colinChan008
Techie

Postby colinChan008 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:07 am

or can u tell me how to get v8object's reference pointer which doesnot influence the gc, so that i can make a new cefvalue with it. so that they will be equal in js.
colinChan008
Techie

Postby magreenblatt » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:44 am

colinChan008 wrote:cache the object in the Js layer doest not help anything, as our cache will retain the object all the time. as a result, the C++ object will not release.

If the JS code releases the reference then the object should be GC'd and the C++ object will be released. That is up to your JS code (e.g. by assigning null to the variable that stores the natively bound object).
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Next

Return to Support Forum