Error while generating Xcode project: certificate validation

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

Error while generating Xcode project: certificate validation

Postby MarkB » Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:53 am

I have an existing project (based on cefclient), and when I try to generate the Xcode project files, I get an error about certificate validation on some Google Storage server. Has anybody seen this before, or have some idea how to work around it?
This was working just a few days ago...

Code: Select all
% cmake -G "Xcode" -DPROJECT_ARCH="arm64" ..
-- Using Python: /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin/python
-- Downloading clang-format from Google Storage...
Failed to fetch file gs://chromium-clang-format/025ca7c75f37ef4a40f3a67d81ddd11d7d0cdb9b for tools/buildtools/mac/clang-format. [Err: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/private/tmp/my-project/tools/buildtools/gsutil.py", line 172, in <module>
    sys.exit(main())
  File "/private/tmp/my-project/tools/buildtools/gsutil.py", line 168, in main
    clean=args.clean)
  File "/private/tmp/my-project/tools/buildtools/gsutil.py", line 134, in run_gsutil
    gsutil_bin = ensure_gsutil(force_version, target, clean)
  File "/private/tmp/my-project/tools/buildtools/gsutil.py", line 113, in ensure_gsutil
    target_zip_filename = download_gsutil(version, instance_dir)
  File "/private/tmp/my-project/tools/buildtools/gsutil.py", line 70, in download_gsutil
    u = urllib.urlopen(url)
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 154, in urlopen
    return opener.open(url, data, timeout)
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 429, in open
    response = self._open(req, data)
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 447, in _open
    '_open', req)
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 407, in _call_chain
    result = func(*args)
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 1241, in https_open
    context=self._context)
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 1198, in do_open
    raise URLError(err)
urllib2.URLError: <urlopen error [SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed (_ssl.c:727)>
]
MarkB

Re: Error while generating Xcode project: certificate valida

Postby magreenblatt » Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:03 pm

Did you google the error message? This was the first result for me, though the solutions seem specific to newer Python versions: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/278 ... iled-error
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby MarkB » Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:02 pm

Did you google the error message?

I didn't actually, because this was working a few days ago, and seemed more-likely to be some external change, rather than something broken in my formerly-working installation. I'm just following the directions from:
https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/ ... /README.md

...which did work for me until just recently. I'm using python 2.7.18 and cmake 3.23.2, which seem like they should match the requirements from the README.

If I repeat that test with a fresh checkout from the cef-project BitBucket repo, it fails in the same way, so it's not my project that's the issue.

I'll try the suggestions from that stackoverflow article, in particular the certificate installation ones. Thanks!
MarkB

Postby MarkB » Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:08 pm

Okay, so installing/upgrading the certifi package fixed the issue. There's a script included with the python.org installer called "Install Certificates.command" which does it. All I had to do was:
Code: Select all
sh Install\ Certificates.command
in a Terminal.

I guess one or more of the certificates installed with the 2.7 installer have expired, recently.

Thanks for the help!
MarkB

Return to Support Forum