Spotify website not working in cefclient - widevine-license

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

Spotify website not working in cefclient - widevine-license

Postby jammerxd » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:50 pm

Hi there!

After 3 days of trying - I finally got CEF to build successfully under windows. But now I have another problem -

When trying to just open spotify.com in the cefclient.exe sample browser and I try to play any of my songs, I can see in the dev console spotify just keeps skipping tracks and getting a 403 error from
https://gue1-spclient.spotify.com/widev ... io/license

I used the following script to do the build to test with x64 before continuing to make sure things would work before I proceed but they clearly are not:

Code: Select all
title 'x64 release'
set GN_DEFINES=is_official_build=true use_thin_lto=false proprietary_codecs=true ffmpeg_branding=Chrome
set GN_ARGUMENTS=--ide=vs2022 --sln=cef --filters=//cef/*
set GYP_MSVS_VERSION=2022
set GYP_DEFINES=proprietary_codecs=true ffmpeg_branding=Chrome
set CEF_ARCHIVE_FORMAT=tar.bz2
rem set GYP_GENERATORS=ninja,msvs-ninja rem no longer needed
python ..\automate\automate-git.py --download-dir=f:\code\chromium_git --depot-tools-dir=f:\code\depot_tools --minimal-distrib --client-distrib --x64-build --branch=5249 --force-build --force-distrib --no-debug-build --no-debug-tests

and to launch the cefclient app:
Code: Select all
F:\code\chromium_git\chromium\src\cef\binary_distrib\cef_binary_106.0.20+g354064a+chromium-106.0.5249.12_windows64_client\Release>cefclient.exe --enable-media-stream --allow-running-insecure-content --autoplay-policy=no-user-gesture-required --enable-widevine-cdm --cache-path:C:\temp\cef_cache

Yet I'm still unable to play spotify (the whole point of this project).

What else must I do to get this to work? I've compiled CEF myself and made sure to include the proprietary_codecs flag and the ffmpeg_branding flags - yet I am still unable to use them on popular websites.
jammerxd

Re: Spotify website not working in cefclient - widevine-lice

Postby magreenblatt » Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:30 am

Widevine offers different levels of protection for DRM content. Websites can require protection levels that only exist in Google Chrome or specially crafted applications. Google provides the necessary information to companies that request it. See https://www.widevine.com/ for details.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby jammerxd » Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:52 pm

Ahhhh that makes sense. Why is there so much secrecy around this? This is hilariously disgusting. Should be made more clear of "CEF will not play widevine-protected DRM content from most major providers (Spotify, Apple, etc...) without reaching out to https://www.widevine.com - even when compiling with 'proprietary_codecs and ffmpeg_branding=Chrome' - licensing is REQUIRED as the major providers verify the application license BEFORE allowing content to play - despite the cef client having the technical compatibility."
jammerxd

Postby magreenblatt » Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:18 pm

CEF is merely a downstream consumer of Chromium and Widevine. It's up to Google to document their product requirements.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby jammerxd » Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:05 pm

Do you know if the CEF build that spotify makes available will work to play spotify?
jammerxd

Postby magreenblatt » Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:35 pm

jammerxd wrote:Do you know if the CEF build that spotify makes available will work to play spotify?

If you mean the open.spotify.com website, then no, because it does not support proprietary codecs.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby jammerxd » Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:47 pm

Gotcha, well I'm still waiting to hear from widevine. I doubt they'll be of much assistance. I literally just want a background player so that the issue plaguing spotify users never happens again (the "Connect" feature isn't working for the windows desktop app due to a broken build that got released on Thursday and there's still no fix in sight). Plus with a background player I can do the proper audio routing for my GoXLR and BEACN Mix Create without having to sacrifice a browser for the web player.
jammerxd

Return to Support Forum