Opinions wanted - is Chrome framework as usable as Alloy yet

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

Opinions wanted - is Chrome framework as usable as Alloy yet

Postby HarmlessDave » Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:35 pm

We've been using the CEF3 Alloy framework for 8 years now and are settled in, but I realize we should move to Chrome eventually. Is now a good time?

I do notice that the FAQ here and the wiki still seem to be alloy-centric, at least I'm guessing so since they don't mention alloy vs. chrome (0 hits for "alloy") - https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/ ... neralUsage - so I worry about how much of our code will break without documented ways to fix it.

I'm hoping people will stay polite about this even if they've been bitten by a change or two themselves. This has always been a friendly and helpful forum for CEF developers.
HarmlessDave
Expert

Re: Opinions wanted - is Chrome framework as usable as Alloy

Postby magreenblatt » Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:39 am

Most CEF APIs work the same. Some are not or will not be supported with the Chrome runtime. See https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/ ... eader-cef3 for an overview.
Is now a good time?

Yes, unless you need one of the APIs that is not supported. You will, of course, need to perform substantial verification testing with your app after the switch. Bug reports are welcome.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby HarmlessDave » Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:27 am

Thanks for this and the reply yo my question about extension support. We'll plan to start doing some development and testing.
HarmlessDave
Expert

Postby amaitland » Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:12 pm

Maintainer of the CefSharp project.
amaitland
Virtuoso

Return to Support Forum