Building 120 (branch 6099) fails

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

Building 120 (branch 6099) fails

Postby naoki5 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:05 am

I tried to build branch 6099.
I followed the "Automated Method".
However, the build fails with an error.
The following is a part of the log at the time of failure.
Code: Select all
-------- Running "ninja -C out\Debug_GN_x86 cefclient" in "f:\code\chromium_git\chromium\src"...
ninja: Entering directory `out\Debug_GN_x86'
[17882/60530] ACTION //chrome/browser/ui/webui/tab_search:mojo_bindings_ts__generator(//build/toolchain/win:win_clang_x86)
FAILED: gen/chrome/browser/ui/webui/tab_search/tab_search.mojom-webui.ts
f:/code/chromium_git/depot_tools/bootstrap-2@3_11_6_chromium_30_bin/python3/bin/python3.exe ../../mojo/public/tools/bindings/mojom_bindings_generator.py --use_bundled_pylibs -o gen generate -d ../../ -I ../../ --bytecode_path gen/mojo/public/tools/bindings --filelist=__chrome_browser_ui_webui_tab_search_mojo_bindings_ts__generator___build_toolchain_win_win_clang_x86__rule..rsp -g typescript --scrambled_message_id_salt_path ../../chrome/VERSION
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "f:\code\chromium_git\chromium\src\mojo\public\tools\bindings\mojom_bindings_generator.py", line 419, in <module>
    ret = main()
          ^^^^^^
  File "f:\code\chromium_git\chromium\src\mojo\public\tools\bindings\mojom_bindings_generator.py", line 414, in main
    return args.func(args, remaining_args)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "f:\code\chromium_git\chromium\src\mojo\public\tools\bindings\mojom_bindings_generator.py", line 276, in _Generate
    processor._GenerateModule(
  File "f:\code\chromium_git\chromium\src\mojo\public\tools\bindings\mojom_bindings_generator.py", line 244, in _GenerateModule
    generator.GenerateFiles(filtered_args)
  File "f:\code\chromium_git\chromium\src\mojo\public\tools\bindings\generators\mojom_ts_generator.py", line 280, in GenerateFiles
    self.WriteWithComment(self._GenerateWebUiModule(),
                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "f:\code\chromium_git\chromium\src\mojo\public\tools\mojom\mojom\generate\template_expander.py", line 34, in GeneratorInternal
    parameters = generator(*args, **kwargs2)
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "f:\code\chromium_git\chromium\src\mojo\public\tools\bindings\generators\mojom_ts_generator.py", line 266, in _GenerateWebUiModule
    return self._GetParameters()
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "f:\code\chromium_git\chromium\src\mojo\public\tools\bindings\generators\mojom_ts_generator.py", line 228, in _GetParameters
    self._GetJsModuleImports(),
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "f:\code\chromium_git\chromium\src\mojo\public\tools\bindings\generators\mojom_ts_generator.py", line 633, in _GetJsModuleImports
    os.path.relpath(
  File "<frozen ntpath>", line 766, in relpath
ValueError: path is on mount '\\\\tab_group_types.mojom-webui.js', start on mount 'f:'
[17889/60530] CXX obj/v8/cppgc_base/object-size-trait.obj
ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "automate\automate-git.py", line 1357, in <module>
    run(command + build_path + target, chromium_src_dir, depot_tools_dir,
  File "automate\automate-git.py", line 66, in run
    return subprocess.check_call(
  File "F:\code\depot_tools\bootstrap-3_8_0_chromium_8_bin\python3\bin\lib\subprocess.py", line 364, in check_call
    raise CalledProcessError(retcode, cmd)
subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command '['ninja', '-C', 'out\\Debug_GN_x86', 'cefclient']' returned non-zero exit status 1.

I ran the build as follows:

set GN_DEFINES=proprietary_codecs=true ffmpeg_branding=Chrome is_official_build=true
python3 automate\automate-git.py --download-dir=f:\code\chromium_git --branch=6099 --with-pgo-profiles

The following is the build environment.

Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (Japanese)
Visual Studio 2022 Version 17.8.3
Win SDK 10.0.22621.2428

I have successfully built 120.2.3 on January 6.

Do I need to do anything extra to build the latest branch?
naoki5
Expert

Re: Building 120 (branch 6099) fails

Postby j3s » Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:52 am

Experiencing the same problem with 618ea46 (presumably the same version as OP)

There are some indications that python prio to 3.11 should be used, but same issue while switching to 3.10
(see https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.or ... aWGzKqWP6k)
j3s

Postby magreenblatt » Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:53 am

ValueError: path is on mount '\\\\tab_group_types.mojom-webui.js', start on mount 'f:'

You’re likely on the wrong depot_tools and/or python version. This looks like https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/is ... 1422178#c9 which was fixed in https://github.com/chromiumembedded/cef ... b786765cf7 for master.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby j3s » Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:59 am

I'm using python within depot tools which I'm pretty sure I updated the depot_tools before build. Nevertheless the size did change once I downloaded it again, so I did a rebuild again.

Unfortunately same result, error message as op. Python version in depot_tools is 3.11.6. As mentioned in my other post: I did try with python 3.10 before with same result.

I have now looked into your patch and it seems to me as if your change was made in main - and maybe not in the branch 6099 we both did use?

At least my mojom_ts_generator.py does look differently - and I could patch that line, but the build process will fail at another source file. I can only assume there is currently no way to build this branch with the depot tools python. As I tested with python 3.10 (which is before 3.11) I have no idea what version to use.

@naoki5: did you get it to compile?
j3s

Postby magreenblatt » Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:08 pm

Make sure you have depot_tools checked out to the correct version for 6099 branch (from https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/ ... BILITY.txt). You may need to manually run the bootstrap/win_tools.bat script.

Python version in depot_tools is 3.11.6

That is the wrong python version for building 6099. The automate-git.py script should checkout depot_tools to the version specified above, which should download an older python version.

At least my mojom_ts_generator.py does look differently - and I could patch that line, but the build process will fail at another source file.

The patch fixed the issue for me in master (which does get python 3.11 from depot_tools). I didn’t apply the patch to release branches because the correct depot_tools version (for release branches) should contain the older python version.

I can only assume there is currently no way to build this branch with the depot tools python

I use depot_tools python locally to build 6099 and so do the automated builders at https://cef-builds.spotifycdn.com/index.html. No issues so far.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby j3s » Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:51 pm

Thanks for the fast reply!

I guess I'm using the wrong depot tools - before this problem I was using the depot_tools linked in https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/ ... ckStart.md - in the believe the latest version is the best and works.

I'm using theses parameters for automate-git - maybe I'm doing something wrong here.
python3 ..\automate\automate-git.py --checkout 618ea46 --download-dir=c:\code\chromium_git --depot-tools-dir=c:\code\depot_tools --no-build --no-distrib --force-clean --with-pgo-profiles

I'll check why the version "f01ca5848d" of depot tools is not checked out by the above command and if necessary check it out explicitly. This should solve the problem.

Thx
j3s

Postby magreenblatt » Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:56 pm

I'm using theses parameters for automate-git - maybe I'm doing something wrong here.

You should add the --branch parameter when checking out release branches.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby j3s » Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:21 am

First things first: I did change "bootstrap-2@3_11_6_chromium_30_bin\python3\bin" to ".cipd_bin\3.8\bin" in "depot_tools\python3_bin_reldir.txt"

It does seem to compile now - I think it stopped at ~14.000, now compiling ~27.000 file.

There are some indications that python prio to 3.11 should be used, but same issue while switching to 3.10
(see https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.or ... aWGzKqWP6k)

I should have switched to 3.8 and it would have fixed the issue. I relied on the hint
I recommend that you revert to 3.11.1 or older.

Anyways: It did help that you reassured me, that wrong python version is the issue so I was able to fix it for my environment. Thank you very much!

These did not help:
a.) using --branch and checking output of update:

HEAD is now at 618ea46b1 Update to Chromium version 120.0.6099.216
--> Reading c:\code\chromium_git\cef\CHROMIUM_BUILD_COMPATIBILITY.txt
-------- Running "c:\code\depot_tools\git.bat checkout --force f01ca5848d" in "c:\code\depot_tools"...

The result seems to be correct:
C:\code\depot_tools>git status
HEAD detached at f01ca584
nothing to commit, working tree clean

b.) did a clean checkout of f01ca5848d on another machine and ran update_depot_tools afterwards. still got the version 3.11
j3s

Postby magreenblatt » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:06 am

magreenblatt wrote:

You’re likely on the wrong depot_tools and/or python version. This looks like https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/is ... 1422178#c9 which was fixed in https://github.com/chromiumembedded/cef ... b786765cf7 for master.

In case anyone else runs into this issue, I've just cherry-picked the fix to 6099 branch, and Chromium will soon be merging the fix to 6167 branch.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby naoki5 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:49 pm

I did consider installing an older version of depot_tools, but thanks to the fix I was able to build CEF.
Thank you.

I did not know that automate-git.py had an argument --depot-tools-dir.
In my build environment, I had depot_tools in two places, which complicated matters.
This problem was solved with --depot-tools-dir.
naoki5
Expert

Next

Return to Support Forum