Current status

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

Current status

Postby jerryevans » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:18 pm

Hello

Thanks for CEF. I'm wondering about the current project status. Is any help needed to get CEF working with recent Chromium releases?

Thanks

Jerry
jerryevans
Techie

Re: Current status

Postby magreenblatt » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:45 pm

Patches to keep up with Chromium trunk are always welcome. The update process usually takes around 3 hours if all goes well, which is why I'm a bit slow in rolling them out. Here are the steps that I follow when updating to a new Chromium revision:

1. Update to the last "green" Chromium revision by viewing the build waterfall @ http://build.chromium.org/buildbot/waterfall/console. I choose the most recent revision that is green for all of the Windows builders and tests. This might not be the same as the last known good revision returned by http://chromium-status.appspot.com/lkgr and http://build.chromium.org/buildbot/cont ... T/REVISION which (I believe) only track build and unit_tests.
2. Create a diff of the webkit/tools/test_shell directory between the last Chromium revision and new Chromium revision. This will be your guide for identifying what has changed. CEF began life as a customized version of test_shell and there's still a 1:1 relationship between many of the files.
3. Make the necessary changes to CEF, build (clean if necessary) and fix whatever is broken.
4. Run the various CEF tests to make sure everything still works. This step will hopefully be automated at some point in the future.

Looking at the CEF build bot stdio log will give you a sense of what you can expect to find broken when you update. In most cases (say, 90% of the time) the breakage is due to naming changes, minor code reorganization and/or project name/location changes. The remaining 10% can require pretty significant changes to CEF, usually due to the ongoing refactoring of webkit/glue to webkit/api. If you identify a change to Chromium that has broken a required feature for CEF, and you can't work around the breakage by making reasonable changes to CEF, then you should do the following:

1. Identify the specific Chromium revision that broke the feature and make sure you understand why the change was made.
2. Post a message to the chromium-dev mailing list explaining why the change broke CEF and either seeking additional information or suggesting a fix that works for both CEF and Chromium.
3. After feedback from the Chromium developers create a code review issue with the fix and publish it with the appropriate (responsible) developer(s) as reviewers.
4. Follow through with the Chromium developer(s) to get the code review committed.

The CEF build currently contains a patch capability but it should be used only as a last resort (or as a stop-gap if you expect the code review to take a while). The best course of action is always to get your changes accepted into the Chromium trunk if possible.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby jerryevans » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:46 am

Hello M A (?)

Thanks. I am building CEF alongside the current tarball. Possibly not ideal but somewhere to start.

I am trying to get a relatively stable build for embedding in an MFC app which, with luck, will mean a relatively long term commitment to the project.

BTW is there a mailing list for CEF?

ATB

Jerry
jerryevans
Techie

Postby magreenblatt » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:16 pm

Hello M A (?)

Marshall :-)

I am building CEF alongside the current tarball. Possibly not ideal but somewhere to start.

There is of course no guarantee that the current Chromium tarball is more stable than the last supported Chromium revision. To maintain your sanity I suggest you synchronize to the last supported Chromium revision as described in the CHROMIUM_BUILD_COMPATIBILITY.txt file before building CEF for the first time.

I am trying to get a relatively stable build for embedding in an MFC app which, with luck, will mean a relatively long term commitment to the project.

A number of people have successfully used CEF in combination with MFC. Feel free to post questions if you run into any difficulties.

BTW is there a mailing list for CEF?

There is not currently a mailing list for CEF.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Return to Support Forum