Wrapper build

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

Wrapper build

Postby mondain » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:08 pm

Sorry about this, but I must vent a little here; I have been trying to use CEF for about a week now and after having the build fail at various steps on three Ubuntu systems (multiple hours lost), I was able to secure a droplet with 32 cores and 64Gb of RAM which is able to build following the steps on https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/ ... QuickStart up to the first part of #10 (also the suid link is broken on this page). So starting with both out/Debug.. and out/Release contents of which I only need release artifacts, I would absolutely LOVE to have anyone explain why I cannot build a `libcef_dll_wrapper.a` that does not throw a malformed archive error when I try to use it in my application build process. Is there a trick? Was it too hard to include the CMakeLists.txt in a "usable" form to cmake the static file? I've even gone so far as to use `ar` directly on the libcef_dll_wrappr .o files and that also fails as a .a file, but at least its not malformed! So in closing, any guru or wizard that has managed to get a good useable build of the libcef_dll_wrapper.a, I would be grateful for any pointers, but preferably a solution to this incredible mess of a build scenario. Have a great Wednesday all!
mondain

Re: Wrapper build

Postby magreenblatt » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:19 pm

MasterBuildQuickStart is for local development of CEF/Chromium and the resulting builds cannot be distributed. It sounds like you should be using an existing binary distribution or following the guide for setting up automated builds. In both cases you will need to build libcef_dll_wrapper from the provided source code as part of your application and with matching build configuration.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby mondain » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:04 pm

That was a fast response, I appreciate that. The automated build looks like what I need if does indeed yield the wrapper and so's that I can use to build my project for which we won't be distributing the chromium or cef binaries btw. So using the automated steps for Linux, how does one set the gyp_defines so we can ensure the proprietary codecs are configured to work?
mondain

Postby magreenblatt » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:15 pm

mondain wrote:we won't be distributing the chromium or cef binaries btw

If you don't distribute the binaries how will your application run?

mondain wrote:So using the automated steps for Linux, how does one set the gyp_defines so we can ensure the proprietary codecs are configured to work?

You would add "proprietary_codecs=true ffmpeg_branding=Chrome" to GN_DEFINES.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby mondain » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:20 pm

We'll supply our binaries and I guess technically the wrapper will be embedded in there, but as for any libcef.so etc, we'll explain how to obtain those and the proper version to use; that's the idea anyway.
mondain

Postby magreenblatt » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:27 pm

mondain wrote:We'll supply our binaries and I guess technically the wrapper will be embedded in there, but as for any libcef.so etc, we'll explain how to obtain those and the proper version to use; that's the idea anyway.

That sounds error-prone. Also note that binaries with proprietary codecs enabled are subject to licensing terms and may not be free to distribute.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby mondain » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:33 pm

I assumed as much, but I'm no lawyer and I'm not touching any of that stuff; I need to prove a technological solution and that's where my part stops. On to my followup question; where does `automate-git.py` come from, I'm not seeing any details on that.
mondain

Postby mondain » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:38 pm

Disregard my last question, I found a couple automate-git.py
mondain

Postby magreenblatt » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:42 pm

You should use the most recent version from master.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby mondain » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:47 pm

I believe I have the one from master, this is one of the locations ~/code/automate
mondain

Next

Return to Support Forum