Will Google block sign-ins from a CEF browser window?

Having problems with building or using CEF's C/C++ APIs? This forum is here to help. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.

Will Google block sign-ins from a CEF browser window?

Postby mic » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:28 pm

Does anyone know if Google plans to block sign-ins from CEF browser windows in March? The following link suggests that CEF "won't be able to use most Google-specific API-enabled services":

https://www.zdnet.com/article/linux-distributors-frustrated-by-googles-new-chromium-web-browser-restrictions/

The original Google article from last year says:

"To protect our users from these types of attacks Google Account sign-ins from all embedded frameworks will be blocked starting on January 4, 2021"

https://developers.googleblog.com/2020/08/guidance-for-our-effort-to-block-less-secure-browser-and-apps.html

Does anybody know if Google sign-in will be blocked from CEF, or just certain other API access?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
mic
Mentor

Re: Will Google block sign-ins from a CEF browser window?

Postby magreenblatt » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:35 pm

magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby mic » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:27 pm

Thanks. Unfortunately, that thread is outdated, and it seems pretty clear at this point that Google did not follow through. Also, the thread indicates that Jonathan Skelker is no longer involved.

I'm curious about whether anyone knows if Google plans to follow through in March, and to what degree? Specifically, I am concerned about being able to log into Google using a CEF browser window, for the purposes of SSO.
mic
Mentor

Postby magreenblatt » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:29 pm

You should expect Google login not to work in CEF or any other unbranded Chromium-based browser.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby mic » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:04 pm

That's what I was afraid of. Unfortunately, we have over 3 million students (per week) in the education space who won't be able to take their exams unless we can get an exception to this policy for our CEF based browser.

Do you know of a contact at Google who we can connect with to discuss this further?'
mic
Mentor

Postby magreenblatt » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:17 pm

Sorry, I don’t have a specific contact person to recommend. You can try emailing the Google people from the original conversation and they might be able to direct you.
magreenblatt
Site Admin

Postby ndesktop » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:00 am

You can change the user agent for certain domains (*.google.com, gmail.com etc.). I don't have a better idea either.
ndesktop
Master

Postby Zomi1one » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:52 am

ndesktop wrote:You can change the user agent for certain domains (*.google.com, gmail.com etc.). I don't have a better idea either.

Could you give an example of this? Is this still working, for example with youtube?
Zomi1one

Postby ndesktop » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:45 am

Zomi1one wrote:
ndesktop wrote:You can change the user agent for certain domains (*.google.com, gmail.com etc.). I don't have a better idea either.

Could you give an example of this? Is this still working, for example with youtube?

At this time it is still working for me. But I have a custom heavily modified fork of CEF. I posted an example implementing a new function (GetOverrideUserAgent AFAIK) in another thread.
ndesktop
Master

Return to Support Forum